What do I do if my tooth has been knocked out?
One of the most common dental emergencies is the loss of an adult tooth.
According to the Australian Dental Association, the difference between saving or losing a knocked out tooth, is the 30 minutes following the incident. so please get to the dentist immediately!
To save the tooth, follow these steps:
- Rinse the tooth – preferably in milk, but if not, BRIEFLY in tap water.
- Avoid scrubbing the tooth.
- Insert the tooth into the empty socket quickly.
- If you are uncomfortable inserting the tooth, put the tooth in milk or wrap in cling film.
- Get to the dentist immediately. Avoid touching the root surface of the tooth (the bit that is normally UNDER the gum) and pick it up by the crown.
At Northcote Family Dental, we are dedicated to helping you maintain your natural teeth for life, and urge our patients to get in touch with us immediately if they should experience any dental trauma, pain or major concerns.